Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
Scared and Overthinking

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

Scared and Overthinking

This happened almost 6 months ago, and I have had alot of stress going on in my life lately and of course I remember this incident.

I am a nurse and I was changing a dried bloody guaze dressing with suture scissors. I had gloves on and I felt the tips of the scissors touch my fingerpad. I quickly took off the gloves, looked down at my finger and I didn't see any blood. I washed it with soap and water and tried to see if I could get blood to come out and I couldn't. My finger just felt like I got pricked. I saw 2 small red dots on my finger, but then again no blood. I didn't know the patient's status. I have been tested for HIV last month and I was negative and I am immune to Hep B. I am just worried about Hep C or if I should be worried at all. Should I get tested and if I should, how much longer should I wait to test?
Avatar_dr_m_tn

Regarding the "two small red dots" on your finger, were the dots below the surface (epidermis) of the skin? Did the dots have the appearance of skin after a puncture injury?

Overall, the circumstances that you described in your posting represent very low risk of transmission of a blood borne pathogen according to the CDC guidelines--given the nature of the exposure and the fact that you were wearing gloves and washed the potentially exposed area with soap and water.

While I am not able to tell you that your risk is zero, I can tell you that your risk for acquiring Hepatitis C is very, very low. If you are still concerned about Hepatitis C, request a test.

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.