Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
Sharp Box
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Sharp Box

I am a medical assistant and around 5'2. I was finishing up placing a ppd on a 9 year old girl and everything was fine except when it came to placing the needle in the sharp box. The pediatrician I work for is much taller than I am and his sharp boxes are placed so high that I have to get on to my tip toes to get high up enought to place the needle in the box. I still had my gloves on and I slowly moved the needle (most likely at an angle)into the box just enough so I knew it wouldn't fall on me bc I was too scared to just throw it in bc of the height difference. I felt the needle hit the side of the box and once I felt the jolt, I let go of the needle. I didn't feel like my hand got pricked by anything and i didn't see any blood on my hand.

I just want to know if I am at any risk?

I did let the Pediatrician know that the height of the box is inappropriate. He didn't seem to care.
Hello,

Did you feel a prick from a needle...did this "jolt" represent a stick from a needle?

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
4 Comments
Blank
Dr. Parks,

The jolt that I am describing is the needle hitting the side of the sharp box. I did not feel a prick.
Blank
I guess I should just simply say that I did not get pricked with the needle. I know the needle touched the inside of the box bc I felt resistance,like the needle poked the box, "the jolt." I just was wondering if I am at any risk bc I know you are supposed to just drop the sharps into the container and not lower it into the container. I just was to afraid to do so due to the great difference in height of the box in respect to myself.
Blank
Dr. Parks,

No need to respond back. I spoke to my primary care doc.

Thank you
Blank
This Forum's Experts
Philip D Parks, MD, MPH, MOccH, F...Blank
Cambridge Health Alliance, Harvard Medical School
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979