Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
Sprained Ankle - Swollen Foot

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

Sprained Ankle - Swollen Foot

Recently i have sprained my ankle, i put a support on for 6 hours and no that i have taken it off my foot is swollen, and feels like a pudding. Just windering is this normal? and no the support wasn't that tight.
Avatar dr m tn
It is quite common for a sprained ankle to swell after the injury. It may be 48 to 72 hours before the swelling reaches its peak. If you have not been evaluated by a medical provider, you might consider a visit to your medical provider to ensure that you do not have a fracture (broken bone or torn ligaments).

Ice and elevation can be very helpful in reducing swelling and pain.

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.