Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
What do i need to do

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

What do i need to do

I'm a freshly graduated dentsit
Right nw i work as an assistant for another dentist, today we had a philipenese patient
He was doing root canal treatmet for here,
We use an iinstrument called "files" to clean the canals its exactly like a pin but with blades all around, he handed me them after he had finished so i could clean them with a cotton soaked with alcohol before we autoclave them, right away i used the cotton wiped it but not all the blood was removed especially the blood between te blades during the second wipe it slipped and pricked me in the tip of my index finger, right away i took of my latex gloves squeezed my finger under running water untill no blood came out of it again

I was in the process of getting my HBV vaccinatiin i took the first 2 dosses the last 2 months and im waiting for the time to take the last dose this month but not yet

The patient had already left and she works as a servant for someone so i didnt get the chance to ask her about any medical issues

My question is

What r my chances of getting hbv, hcv, hiv or any other viruses, should i be worried, and what should i do next?

Thanx
Avatar_dr_m_tn

A great resource for health care workers can be found at:
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dhqp/pdf/bbp/exp_to_blood.pdf

This document describes risk (of transmission), follow-up and treatment recommendations from the CDC.

The best next step for you is to follow-up with the provider who is responsible for occupational / employee health for the clinic where you are working. If there is not such a person designated with this responsibility, reply back here with your specific questions.

~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.