Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
Wood stain exposure physical harm

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

Wood stain exposure physical harm

Hi I just had a question relating to wood stain exposure. I am working with a product called Deft Step Saver. Here is a link to the MSDS.

http://www.deftfinishes.com/assets/msds/Step%20Saver%20Neutral.pdf

I would like to know about your usage standards for exposure. I would simply like to know by rough estimate from the experts if I will be facing an exposure which should require a respirator. I'd rather not go buy one if the risks are minimal. My primary concern here is permanent toxic neurological damage or lung damage from exposure and if such an exposure situation could cause such an outcome. I'm really not sure so that is why I'm asking for the expert opinion. I will be staining with the product in a basement room about 350 square feet. I will have a small window open about 2 feet by 1 foot and I will use a fan for general dilution ventilation. I estimate I will use about 250 mL's of product with gloves protection and wiping on (not spray) and then wiping off for about 100 minutes in the area total exposure time. I've found that the permissible occupational exposure is about 200ppm to 500ppm according to different standards of this product but I am not sure how to determine if I will be breaching this. What kind of concentration level in ppm or mg/3 would my exposure reach by rough estimation. If I am not breaching then I won't be worried. I am simply staining a glass insert door and it's winter and cold out so I must do it indoors now. Will there be any risk of harmful over-exposure given my situation by professional estimate? Again I'd prefer not to buy a respirator for this one quick job if there is not serious risk of permanent physical damage, minus a little possible lightheadedness. ;) Thanks very much for this site. Your feedback will be very helpful. -J
Avatar_dr_m_tn

Without environmental monitoring (which is not a realistic option for you), I cannot give you an estimation of the environmental concentration that will be present.

The amount of air flow from the local ventilation that you plan to utilize is one of the factors that makes it impossible for me to give you an accurate estimate.

I would recommend that you follow the personal protective advisement on the MSDS:

Engineering Controls: Local ventilation of emission sources may be necessary to maintain ambient concentrations below permissible OSHA exposure limits. Remove all ignition sources (heat, sparks, flame, and hot surfaces).
Respiratory Protection: A respirator that is recommended or approved for use in an organic vapor environment (air purifying or fresh air supplied) is necessary. Observe OSHA regulations for respirator use. Ventilation should be provided to keep exposure levels below the OSHA permissible limits.
Skin Protection: Chemical-resistant gloves (cotton, neoprene, rubber, polyethylene) should be used to prevent skin contact.
Eye Protection: Wear safety eyewear (safety glasses, safety glasses with side-shields, chemical goggles, or face shields) to
prevent eye contact.
Other protective equipment: Long sleeve and long leg clothing is recommended. Remove and wash contaminated clothing before reuse or discard. Safety shower and eyewash station should be located in immediate work area.
Hygienic Practices: Wash hands before breaks, eating, smoking, and at the end of the workday.

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.