Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
Wood stain exposure physical harm
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Wood stain exposure physical harm

Hi I just had a question relating to wood stain exposure. I am working with a product called Deft Step Saver. Here is a link to the MSDS.

http://www.deftfinishes.com/assets/msds/Step%20Saver%20Neutral.pdf

I would like to know about your usage standards for exposure. I would simply like to know by rough estimate from the experts if I will be facing an exposure which should require a respirator. I'd rather not go buy one if the risks are minimal. My primary concern here is permanent toxic neurological damage or lung damage from exposure and if such an exposure situation could cause such an outcome. I'm really not sure so that is why I'm asking for the expert opinion. I will be staining with the product in a basement room about 350 square feet. I will have a small window open about 2 feet by 1 foot and I will use a fan for general dilution ventilation. I estimate I will use about 250 mL's of product with gloves protection and wiping on (not spray) and then wiping off for about 100 minutes in the area total exposure time. I've found that the permissible occupational exposure is about 200ppm to 500ppm according to different standards of this product but I am not sure how to determine if I will be breaching this. What kind of concentration level in ppm or mg/3 would my exposure reach by rough estimation. If I am not breaching then I won't be worried. I am simply staining a glass insert door and it's winter and cold out so I must do it indoors now. Will there be any risk of harmful over-exposure given my situation by professional estimate? Again I'd prefer not to buy a respirator for this one quick job if there is not serious risk of permanent physical damage, minus a little possible lightheadedness. ;) Thanks very much for this site. Your feedback will be very helpful. -J