Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
Wrist psin

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

Wrist psin

Hi im 24 and my job involves alot of typing mainly on the number pad. Iv worked there for 4 yrs but about 2 months ago i over did it typing and my right hand and wrist became painful and inflammed. My boss was unsympathetic so i went to the doctors who said i had tendonitus. I have been wearing a support since. It hadnt got any better so i went back to the doctors and i am now on anti infammatory tablets which have reduced the swelling abit. My boss also got me a mini keyboard with seperate number pad so i could use my left hand to type! I tried this for a week and now i have pain on the underside of my wrists ( mainly my left wrist) when flexing backwards and forwards and sometimes just resting. It seems to be worse now :( and i am worried about work. Can you please help, why do you think it is now worse and the pain has moved? Thank you.
Avatar_dr_m_tn

In general, neutral postures of the wrist minimize the risk for repetitive strain injuries or overuse injuries (such as tendonitis and carpal tunnel syndrome). The key point is to avoid awkward wrist postures (too much bending forward or backward).

Also, wearing a brace may increase symptoms or result in new symptoms because your biomechanics (the way you use your hands, fingers and wrists) may change.

Do you stand or sit when you are working/typing?

Helpful links:
1. http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/computerworkstations/components_wrist_rests.html#design

This highlights the potential risks of using wrist "supports." The hand and wrist may still be in undesirable postures when supports are utilized.

2. http://www.stanford.edu/dept/EHS/prod/general/ergo/Wrkstn_Ergo_Tool/ErgoTool_2.swf

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical or legal advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
Id like to add that i saw the occupational health nurse at work last week who told me to lean on my wrist rest whilst typing, which i did!!! I have since read you shouldnt do this. Also my new keyboard is tilted, also wrong according to what i have read. I will change back to my old keyboard next week. I feel frustrated that the advice i get is wrong which is making it worse.
Thank You for the links they were really helpful. I sit whilst typing, most of my typing is on the number lock so its difficult to make many changes. I wear a brace whilst typing but i do find i can make things worse so have now stopped wearing it.
I have finished my anti inflammatories now and it is painful again. I will definitely look at my work station and posture after reading those links. Thank You