allergic reaction to NaOH in cardboard boxes
Every time I touch or am scratched even slightly by a cardboard box I have an allergic reaction to it. Redness, swelling, itching and most time hives. Could this be due to the NaOH used in the process of making the cardboard?

Your "allergic" response could be due to a numerous substances/chemicals used in the manufacturing process.

Do you have history of this kind of response to any other items/substances?

Also, in the meantime, I would recommend that you see your personal health care provider and tell them about your symptoms.

Also, FYI, I will not be responding to postings after 3/28 until 4/6/09. I apologize for the inconvenience.

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal health care provider for further evaluation of your individual case.