Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
allergic reaction to NaOH in cardboard boxes

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

Every time I touch or am scratched even slightly by a cardboard box I have an allergic reaction to it. Redness, swelling, itching and most time hives. Could this be due to the NaOH used in the process of making the cardboard?
Avatar_dr_m_tn

Your "allergic" response could be due to a numerous substances/chemicals used in the manufacturing process.

Do you have history of this kind of response to any other items/substances?

Also, in the meantime, I would recommend that you see your personal health care provider and tell them about your symptoms.

Also, FYI, I will not be responding to postings after 3/28 until 4/6/09. I apologize for the inconvenience.

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal health care provider for further evaluation of your individual case.