Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
am I a crazy mom?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

am I a crazy mom?

I have a 2 y/o son that is extremely outgoing. Tonight we were at my father-in-laws house and there were alot of people over there. This woman that we hardly know, was getting in her car to leave and my son started to get upset, he walked to her car as she was leaving, as he was crying, and she called him to the window, obviously to try and see why he was upset. I was sitting on the porch along with my husband, when to my suprise, my little boy puckered up to give her a kiss good-bye. She gave him a peck on the lips, before I could detest. I am an RN in the ER. I know it's probably harder to catch most communicable diseases, than that, but he's my baby!!!! I couldn't hide my disgust. I just put my head down. I felt horrible that I couldn't get the words "not on the lips" or "no, you don't need to give her a kiss" or even "don't kiss him" out of my mouth in time. I don't know her very well, but I know that she used to be a stripper. No offense to strippers intended, but this girl doesn't appear well rounded at all. She dresses sleazy and I've never heard any words like wholesome mentioned in reference to her. I've just heard alot of other words. & just a few weeks ago she hit on my husband. Anyway, I know I'm obsessing, but that's my nature. I was very upset right after it happened and I cried, but now I've convinced myself that it would be near to impossible for him to contract anything from a peck. This chick doesn't seem to have any overt disease processes going on. Luke doesn't have any open sores on his lips and I didn't see any on hers either. Someone please say something to make me feel sure that everything's fine. My husband said "well, there's nothing you can do about it now". Nobody say that, okay, that will not make me feel better. I hate when people say that, it only makes things feel worse even if it is the truth. I do however want the truth, even if it doesn't sound so nice.  Okay, I'm done.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Although I cannot reassure you with 100% certainty, the contact that you describe is relatively low risk--especially, without the presence of open sores.

You might consider posting your specific questions in the family medicine forum as this forum is reserved for occupational safety and health questions.

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.