Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
asbestos

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

asbestos

I need help please Im on the point of giving up. Please put my mind at ease the worry has taken over my life, with little hope to live.

I worked on a building site in 2004, the bulldozers filled trucks up with asbestos and soil. I had to go in and cover truck with plastic. 5 -6 trucks will this exposure kill me, I still have to take inhaler every day and herbal remedy to maintain normal life
Avatar_dr_m_tn

With the limited details that you provided in your posting, it is difficult to provide an explicit answer to your question.

Asbestos exposure, if you were exposed, may have acute (short-term) and chronic (long-term) consequences to your health and well-being.

Please take a look at the following link and feel free to follow-up with specific questions.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/asbestos/asbestos/health_effects/

Have you discussed your question(s) with your health care provider? If so, what was their response?

What other diagnoses to you have (asthma, COPD, etc.)? Are you a smoker?

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical or legal advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
I nevered smoked. Im nearly 100 % I have pulmonary alveolar proteinosis in left lung cause when I stop taking herbal or inhaler it gets stiff and I get breathless and short of breath. I have had 3 broncosopies and no diagnosis. The fungal colonisation of left lung worries me, aspergillosis.

I went to priest for blessings cause the fungus grew into glucose blobs and i thought i was going to die.

I take herbal remedy, colon and liver, kidney detox and enyzems to heal. will i die or my condition improve ?
Avatar_dr_m_tn

I would recommend that you discuss your prognosis (what you can expect with your condition in the future) with your health care provider.

Do you have any generalized questions about your condition?

~•~ Dr. Parks

Helllo Dr Parks,

I have a question, when I stop taking herbal my lungs get stiff and a scar like sensation grows all over both lungs and then it goes away.

Can tell me what this is ?

I told the professor of respiratory my exposure history and he says you need years of it to get asbestosis and he done 3 broncoscopies and recently H CT scan I had to take iodine for contrast. I never saw it should I request to see it in case they are hiding my problems. He is suppose to be very good

Tom
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It is always a good idea to see a copy of the radiologist's report so that you can ask specific questions about the medical terminology that is used to describe normal and abnormal findings.

I am sorry but I am not certain what you mean by a "scar like sensation grows over both lungs and then it goes away". Could you describe your symptoms in a different way?

Also, what type of herbal remedy do you take?

~•~ Dr. Parks

I take lobeila, quebracho, mullein, gotu kola, grindelia.

I get up light orange specs can you tell me what this could be ?

When I went to doctor he said my exposure was minmal, my new doctor wants me to see phychiatrist so I can not go back anymore.

I read report Dr Bernstein says half life of crysolithe is 8 years over 10 um. Can you explain what half life means ?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello again,

"half-life" is a term used to describe the amount of time that it would take for a substance undergoing decay to decrease by one half. For example, if you had 10 grams of a decaying substance and the substance's half-life was 5 years, it would take 5 years for 5 grams to disappear or decay.

The term half-life was originally used to describe the decay characteristics of radioactive atoms. The half-life of asbestos fibers is dependent on the type of fibers and the size of the fibers. In your posting, it appears that the report that you read by Dr. Bernstein estimated that the half-life of 10 micrometer fibers is 8 years.

Perhaps, Dr. Bernstein's point was that asbestos particles are very persistent; that is, once the fibers enter the lung, they stay there for a long amount of time.

http://www.chrysotile.com/data/conferences/Presentation_David_Bernstein.pdf

~•~ Dr. Parks

I coughed up some red mucous or lung what would this be no blood liquid but red mucus / material with some white / green sputum in phlegm ? What could this be ?

Tom
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello again Tom,

Coughing up "red mucous" could be due to a variety of causes--too many to list here without more information from you (other symptoms such as cough, fever, shortness of breath, etc). You might consider seeing your health care provider and telling them about your symptoms--and, they could perform a proper physical examination and order any indicated diagnostic tests.

~•~ Dr. Parks

If I came in to you as a patient saying I was exposed for 1 day during asbestos material friable. what would you say and tests would you do ? It affects my left lung becomes colinise with fungus and black mold