Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
battery fumes
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

battery fumes

when i went to work this morning there was a bad smell of acid
when i went to check the fork lifts one of them was blowing alot of steam from batteries.
we were told to work on even though the warehouse stunk of acid smell.
i work in a large warehouse and the hole place was just full of the acid smell
are there any steps that should have been taken to make sure our health and safety was not at risk
Hello,

Your question was: "Are there any steps that should have been taken to make sure our health and safety was not at risk?"

I am not able to explicitly answer the question about what should have been done. However, here is some general information about fumes from batteries.

When batteries get wet or damp, sulfuric acid may be present in the air as small droplets or attached to other small airborne particulates (for example, dust). Sulfuric acid is extremely irritating to skin, mucous membranes (eyes, inside of the nose, throat), and to the upper airway (trachea) and to the lungs. If you inhaled either droplets or particulates with droplets attached, you could experience symptoms such as difficulty breathing, coughing, sore throat, and a burning sensation in your nose or eyes.

Inhalation of sulfuric acid droplets can cause a chemical pneumonitis (inflammation in the lungs). If chemical pneumonitis occurs, the lungs may not be able to clear other particles that are inhaled and there may be a higher risk for developing pneumonia. In addition, the sulfuric acid is irritating to the gastrointestinal tract and could cause nausea, diarrhea, and stomach pain.

Lastly, where can you get information on this problem?

You can perform a google search and use “battery acid fumes” and “MSDS” as search terms. MSDS = Material Safety Data Sheet.

Here is a link as well:
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts117.html

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
Blank
This Forum's Experts
Philip D Parks, MD, MPH, MOccH, F...Blank
Cambridge Health Alliance, Harvard Medical School
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank