Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
cerebral spinal pressure

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

cerebral spinal pressure

My son-in-law is currently in the hospital fighting for his life.    He will be 21 years of age on Tuesday.  Drs. don’t know what is happening to him.  He initially was diagnosed with viral meningitis and then encephalitis.  Today, is his seven day in the Intensive Care Unit.  His symptom started about the 18th of January.   As each day goes by he is getting worse.  He came to the hospital three times and finally he was admitted.  He had a very bad headache, high fever, vomiting,  nausea, loss of appetite, sensitive to light, incoherent, delirious.  He works with different spray paints in body shop which contains chemicals.  He also used to work with textile printing.  His white blood cells were high, he had low sodium.  He has been treated with bacterial,  viral antibiotics, and  pain medicine.  His eyes became crossed and he became delirious.  He has had two seizures.  On his second seizure he became unconscious and was put a tube in his lungs to help him breathe better.  His brain became swollen that they had to puncture it to drain fluid and relieve some of the pressure.  Now the pressure is getting higher and drs said that could die, his pupils don’t look good one is bigger than the other, which means that even if he survives, he won’t be the same, that there has been damaged to the brain.  We are waiting on the results of a brain biopsy which they said it will take 2 to 4 days.  His blood cultures are coming back negative; his white blood cells are low now.  Drs. don’t know what he has; they don’t know what’s causing the pressure in his brain.  We are waiting on those results which we are very desperate to hear.  Please if anyone has any idea, or has been through this before, let me hear it.  Drs. are saying that it is not the chemicals that caused his condition.  In despair.  Please help!
Avatar_dr_m_tn

While I am not able to provide medical advice in this forum and please understand that I do not know all of the facts or details of your son-in-law's care, it sounds like he is experiencing rare but possible complications of viral meningitis/encephalitis.

Please continue to utilize this forum if you have specific questions.

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical or legal advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.