Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
correlation between asbestos and sleep apnea

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

I was in the navy for 4 years from 1971 to 1975 and my job was to wear the asbestos hot suit for crash helicopters. I wore the full asbestos suit which consist of body suit, gloves and helmet. Since that time I have a severe case of sleep apnea and trouble  with shortness of breath. My qiestion is can the asbestos of the asbestos suit have a correlation with sleep apnea. If so, where can I find documentation to support that...............
Avatar dr m tn

No. The asbestos in the "asbestos suit" is/was completely encapsulated and could not have caused health effects. Also, there is no relationship that I aware of between asbestos exposure and obstructive sleep apnea.

Obstructive sleep apnea is a very common disorder risk factors include: obesity, crowded posterior airway, neck circumference over 17 inches, and smoking.

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.