Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
fall from ladder- back and rib pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

fall from ladder- back and rib pain

yes, i fell from a 12 foot ladder 9 days ago (last step before top one).  i fell on my right side.  I have had pain in my upper middle back and buttocks and now my left rib cage is sore.  The overall pain has gradually gotten better (first day a 9, today a 5); however my concern is it seems to be spreading.  Deep breathes, sleeping, sneezing etc. are all very painful.  The fall was shocking to my body, apparently i had a conversation with paramedics, but i dont remember hardly any of it (I guess shock). There is no problem with urination at all or headaches or nausea.  Should I be concerned about internal bleeding? After 9 days should the pain be better and should it be spreading?
Tags: fall from ladder
Avatar_dr_m_tn

After nine days following a fall from a 12 foot ladder, you may still be very sore. That is quite normal.

If you were not evaluated by a healthcare provider after the fall, I encourage you to do so. You may have fractured (broken) a rib (or ribs). Being seen by a healthcare provider may help you understand how long you can expect to be in pain and what is causing the pain (for example, rib fracture).

A fall from 12 feet can be significant enough to cause an injury to the liver, spleen or other internal organs--this can cause internal bleeding. You would likely experience symptoms related to internal bleeding in the hours after the fall or in the first day (or two) after such a fall.

Another concerning fact from your posting is the fact that you do not remember speaking with the paramedics. You may have experienced a concussion (head injury) during the fall.

Please feel free to respond with additional questions that you may have.

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.