Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
gasoline contamination in well water

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

gasoline contamination in well water

Approximately a year ago a gasoline spill contaminated the well water supplying water for my residence.  When I began to smell the gas in the water to the house I switched to bottled water for drinking and cooking.  I continued to use the well water for other uses, such as bathing, laundry, dishwashing, toilets, etc.  The smell is not overwhelming.
In the past four months, I have experienced neurological symptoms, primaily to my extremities, such as tingling and numbness.
My question is whether the gasoline in the water could be causing these neurological issues via inhalation or absortion through the skin from bathing, handwashing,etc.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.
Avatar_dr_m_tn

Yes. In general, it is possible that a gasoline spill could contaminate ground and well water. And, conceivably, it is possible that with enough exposure to the hydrocarbons in the gasoline (benzene, etc), symptoms could result.

As with any exposure, the dose of the exposure matters. Duration of exposure (how often and for how long) and amount of exposure are very important factors to consider.

Here is the EPA's link regarding ground and drinking water: http://water.epa.gov/drink/index.cfm

And, a link from the state of Minnesota: http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/eh/hazardous/topics/vocs.html

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical or legal advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case