Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
improper flu shot

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

improper flu shot

I was following a previous blog from hoonman and have had the concern of my flu shots and arm(s) pain also. I received the shots a month ago (both arms), they seemed to be given very high in my arm and were difficult to go in. Seemed like a needle going into a rock. Saw the Dr. yesterday, maybe ruling it as bursitis. I haven't gone any further with it because each day seems to be improving. A pain level over 3 weeks ago of a 9-10 to now a 3-4. I am willing to be patient with time, I see you mentioned 3-6 months. My question is about movement and exercise at this point. Should I be working this out? Or resting my arms when ever possible?
Avatar_dr_m_tn

It is very positive that you are noticing improvement with each day. And, patience, gentle exercise and rehabilitation (strengthening of the rotator cuff tendons and shoulder muscles) is often helpful. Resting when you experience discomfort is also appropriate as well.

You might consider discussing physical therapy with your health care provider so that you have proper exercises to perform on your own.

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.