Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
improper flu shot

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

improper flu shot

I've had the same problem wth pain after the flu shot - she hit me at the shoulder joint and the pain has been over 2 months now and I keep ice packing it.  When I called she just said that it's normal for the shot to hurt for  while in some cases and wouldn't even consider that she gave it incorrectly.  the info I read is helpful but how do I get them to take me serously?  It's been horrible!

Also, does it affect how affective the shot will be?

I also have fibromyalgia and arthritis so bursitis is something I get but I've never had it there before and it's getting so irritating to keep having the nerve and joint pain.  What do I tell my doc to get him to understand that this really happened and get help?   It was also one of those new kind of shots that they put up to your arm and then hit and it injects, so not a normal needle but it was at the joint not below in the muscle.  I need them to understand this really happened to me and it's not just the usual chronic pain.

Thanks for your help!
Avatar_dr_m_tn

The placement of the influenza vaccine may reduce the effectiveness of the vaccine. However, to what extent the effectiveness may be reduced, I cannot provide an estimate of that because there are a number of factors that make this kind of estimate difficult.

A previous posting (http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Occupational-Safety--Health/Severe-bursitis-from-flu-shot-surgery/show/1397163) should be helpful in the discussion with your providers.

It is important that you keep moving your shoulder and you might consider asking your healthcare provider to order physical therapy.

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.