Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
inhalation of household bleach

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

inhalation of household bleach
i was cleaning a flat out and used flash bleach on the toilet it was very strong and nearly made me sick i now cant stop coughing and have a burning feeling at the back of my throat can you help me please

When did your exposure occur? How are you feeling now?

Bleach contains sodium hypochlorite and the vapors from bleach can be quite irritating to the nose, mouth, airways, and eyes.

Depending on several factors: the concentration of the bleach, how much ventilation was present in the area when you were exposed, whether or not you were in a confined space, and how long you were exposed, the type of exposure that you experienced can cause a range of effects. The effects can be mild and include nausea, throat irritation, cough, and eye irritation. Or, if the exposure was more significant, there can be irritation and inflammation of the airways that result in a chemical bronchitis or pneumonitis (irritation of the large and small airways in the lungs).

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
get fresh air right away