lumbar surgery
i see a ortho dr. in april 2013 for lumbar spinal stenosis in L$ L5 area cused by bone spur if i do the surgery what are the long term effets can i do heavy labor work lifting twisting bending or do light easy work? i also have ddd in neck and  my back in L4 L5 area. appled or ssdi was denied geinglawyer to appeal if he ssdi dont work out i mght not do the surgery.  any info would be great. thanks.

A single level fusion at L4/L5 for a bone spur (medical name = osteophyte) may not be the only option. In general, for spinal stenosis and osteophytes, there are other options that include minimally invasive surgery, which may be associate with less trauma during the surgery and a different recovery.

http://www.aans.org/Patient%20Information/Conditions%20and%20Treatments/Minimally%20Invasive%20Spine%20Surgery%20MIS.aspx

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.