Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
numb thumb after contact with Artic Silver 5

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

Over 24 hours ago, I was disassembling a computer.  The finger on my left hand had prolonged exposure to Artic Silver 5.  This is a thermal paste used between the cpu and fan.  I washed my hands thoroughly a few hours after exposure.  I googled the compound and all the company recommends after exposure is washing.  However, my left thumb is still numb where it was exposed.  Today is Sunday,  is it worth going to Urgent Care?  I don't really have the time or money for this if they won't be able to do anything.  I can't imagine what could be done.

How are symptoms now? Do you continue to have numbness?

I reviewed the MSDS (material safety data sheet) provided by the manufacturer (http://www.arcticsilver.com/PDF/thermcom/AS5_MSDS_3.pdf). The MSDS recommends washing with soap and water as you stated in your posting. The individual components are not known to cause numbness after skin exposure.

Did you use or come into contact with any other chemicals that day?

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
Thank you for the reply!  A section of my thumb still remains numb.  I was not exposed to any other chemicals (other than hand soap).  By the way, the area of the thumb that remains numb was where I was vigorously rubbing the thermal paste off the processor to clean it.  

I'm wondering if soaking the thumb in Epson salt might help remove any micro-particles that could have lodged in thumb?
Also, if I decide to seek medical treatment, which type of doctor would you recommend?  General, Dermatologist, Neurologist etc?
Hello again,

You should see your primary care provider first and based on that visit you can work with that provider to decide which specialist may be best for you.

~ Dr. Parks