Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
osteoarthritis and work

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

osteoarthritis and work

i have moderate oa of the neck and i work as a cart person at a grocery store and i was wondering ,will contiuning ,pushing carts every day make the oa worse i have been slowing down on how many carts i can push . i have been there 25 years doing the same job. i havent said anything to my boss,dont wana give them a reason to get rid of me. my wife thinks i should look into  disability but i think im far from that and i have a 7 year old boy so i would have to wait untill he is 18 for insurances reasons. t-you
Avatar_dr_m_tn

Before I respond to your question, a couple questions for you:
1. How old are you?
2. Have you every had an injury to your neck? for example, motor vehicle accident, head injury, etc.
3. Have you had an x-ray or other type of imaging (MRI, CT) for your neck
4. Do you have any numbness, tingling, or weakness in your arms or legs?
5. Have you ever had physical therapy, chiropractic therapy for your neck?

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
im 41 y/o. never had any injury to my neck .i have had xrays that showed modeate osteoarthritis.i do get some minor weakness and tiredness in my arms..i was supposed to goto therapy but have not gone due to insurance reasons.
Avatar_dr_m_tn

Physical therapy to increase strength and improve posture could provide some relief. Perhaps, you can explore options for physical therapy? What is the barrier for you regarding health insurance? No insurance? High deductible or high co-pay?

The osteoarthritis may progress slowly over time. Strengthening the muscles that support the neck and cervical spine may lesson symptoms of pain and discomfort.

~•~ Dr. Parks