Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
short term exposure to metal fumes

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

short term exposure to metal fumes

Under very bad guidance and against my best judgement I drove to work today with my front driver caliper seized. The result was my car cabin being flooded with a burning metal smell. I rolled down all the windows and sun roof in the lovely winter cold and got snowed on to try and get some ventalation. I ended up being in the vehicle for about 45min to an hour to get to work because I am unfortunatly not in a position where I can really miss work for things like this and live in a rural area without transit.

As I was driving I was getting groggy (hoping not but wouldn't be suprised if it was oxygen depravation) since getting to work it has not cleared up. I have been out of the vehicle for over 2 hours but still feel like I am going to pass out. It isn't a dizzy feeling like low blood pressure its more like I am going to fall asleep/ colaps and sleep at my desk. I am also noticing a bit of a head ache and feelingn like eveerythign is slow motion. I have a bit of a body sway and have to keep gettign up and moving around to snap out of this hypno trance at me desk. any suggestions on what I should do to shake this and get my self back together again? Also any tips for the car ride home?
Avatar_dr_m_tn

Your symptoms are not due to oxygen deprivation. However, it is possible for fumes from the seized caliper to cause the symptoms that you described.

In addition to inhaling fresh air, you should consider seeking medical attention if your symptoms persist.

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.