Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
spit in eye

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

spit in eye

someone spit into my eyes and then also scratched my contacts out...two weeks later i became extreemely ill...high temp and flu like symptoms...i also lost all recolection of what was happening to me...i was taken care of by my roomate for flu...them temp went to 104..and ambulance came...i went into a septic shock and then was in a coma for 10 days....the outcome was determined to be an infection got under my skin and then into my blood..which caused my septic shock....could this infection be caused by the spit of another person into my eyes and also from the fingernail scratches???
Avatar_dr_m_tn

It is possible that sepsis could because by the events you described but very unlikely.

A few more questions for you....

After the person spit into your eyes and scratched you, did you have signs of infection around your eyes and the other skin that was scratched?

For example, was the white part of your eyes red or was the skin that was scratched red and swollen?

Do you have any other medical problems or problems with your immune system (such as diabetes, organ transplant, use of steroids, etc)?

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical or legal advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.