Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
umbilical hernia in an adult

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

umbilical hernia in an adult

I have an umbilical hernia and I weigh about 377lbs.  I think I did  it when i was moving a machine at work.  Anyway, I went to a surgeon and will be having surgery soon.
My question is this:
Shouldn't I be taking it easy?  Should I be lifting anything?  Sometimes I have to help move machines around the shoop that I work in and they can weigh anywhere from 100lbs up to one ton if full.
What kind of restrictions should I have?  The surgeon wrote me a note for work that says I can return to work without restrictions.
Reported Re
Avatar_dr_m_tn

My apologies for the delay in responding to your posting.

Is your hernia reducible? That is, can you push it back in when it comes out?

How much weight can you lift without having pain?

Some important pieces of information that I can offer you about umbilical hernias and restrictions are:
1. Restrictions are really dependent upon how much discomfort you have when you are performing the essential functions of your job.
2. The fact that your surgery is "soon" and not immediately necessary is indicative of your surgeon's assessment of the hernia and that the hernia is not imminently dangerous to your health at this time.

Please respond with additional questions.

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
Umbilical hernia’ - rarely causes a problem in an adult.

If it becomes acutely sore and tender to touch in an unusual way for you or if it changes colour then you should see your GP - otherwise leave well alone - there is no treatment other than surgica. Special supports, etc are pretty useless for this kind of hernia.
Dr Bob Leckridge, GP

In adults, too much abdominal pressure can cause an umbilical hernia. Possible culprits include:

Obesity
Heavy lifting
Coughing
Multiple pregnancies
Fluid in the abdominal cavity

I know what it is, what I asked is, Shouldn't I be on some kind of restrictions at work and shouldn't I NOT be lifting things.
Everything that you just looked up on the internet, I found myself.
I just can't get a straight answer of what I should and should not be doing pre op.
I know weight and lifting COULD cause it, I just need to know what to do now.