Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
working in the cold

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

working in the cold
What kind of long term effects can i expect from working in a 30 degree cooler for 8 hours and then going outside in the 100 degree heat for 5 days a week, for a very long time?  How will the extreme temperature changes effect me?

What type of clothing are you wearing while you are working in the cooler? Do you take breaks?

In general, there are many risks of working in a cold environment.

* chilblains - ulcers of the skin that are associated with cold, damp environments.
* frost-nip (more or less the first stage of frost bite)
* frost-bite - ice forms in the skin
* hypothermia - body temperature lowers (can be fatal)
* Raynaud's Syndrome - fingers become white, stiff and painful

Do you have specific concerns about working in a cold environment?

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
Im a meat cutter, we where pants and a work shirt, nothing well insulated.  I geuss i was just wondering if i will be more prone to arthritis or any other physical problems due to the constant up and down of the temperatures, in and out of the cold nonstop.
I am not aware of studies in the medical literature that support the idea that you would be predisposed to arthritis because of working in a cold work environment. Nor am I aware of evidence that exposure to frequent changes in temperature would cause arthritis or other health problems.

Best of luck.

~•~ Dr. Parks