Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
working in the cold

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

working in the cold

What kind of long term effects can i expect from working in a 30 degree cooler for 8 hours and then going outside in the 100 degree heat for 5 days a week, for a very long time?  How will the extreme temperature changes effect me?
Avatar_dr_m_tn

What type of clothing are you wearing while you are working in the cooler? Do you take breaks?

In general, there are many risks of working in a cold environment.

* chilblains - ulcers of the skin that are associated with cold, damp environments.
* frost-nip (more or less the first stage of frost bite)
* frost-bite - ice forms in the skin
* hypothermia - body temperature lowers (can be fatal)
* Raynaud's Syndrome - fingers become white, stiff and painful

Do you have specific concerns about working in a cold environment?

~•~ Dr. Parks

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
Im a meat cutter, we where pants and a work shirt, nothing well insulated.  I geuss i was just wondering if i will be more prone to arthritis or any other physical problems due to the constant up and down of the temperatures, in and out of the cold nonstop.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I am not aware of studies in the medical literature that support the idea that you would be predisposed to arthritis because of working in a cold work environment. Nor am I aware of evidence that exposure to frequent changes in temperature would cause arthritis or other health problems.

Best of luck.

~•~ Dr. Parks