Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
After Ameloblastoma Surgery

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

After Ameloblastoma Surgery

My husband appears to have chronic ear and sinus infections.  Four years ago he had maxillofacial surgery whereby an ameloblastoma removed from his lower jaw.  It projected up into the sinus area on one side of his face and his sinuses were also removed as well as four teeth.  His palate never healed and so he wears a prosthetic device called an "obturator" to cover the "hole which allows him to speak and eat better.  However, he seems to have constant ear and sinus infections as well as expectorant in his lungs causing a lot of coughing and at times, some discomfort breathing.  He has a prescription - Ciprodex Otic Suspension - that he is able to "drop" into the ear cavity and it helps greatly with that part of the body.  We know the problem stems from the "issue" of the sinus cavity - any ideas on how we can better help him?
  I cannot offer any specific advise without a comprehensive clinical and radiographic examination, however an inspection of the sinus cavity is certainly indicated to make sure it is draining properly and there is no reocurrance of the tumor.  I suggest you speak with an ENT surgeon about the sinus cavity.  This may also explain the coughing.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.