Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Antibotic for abcessed tooth after extraction

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

I recently had my lower molar extracted due to an abcess (abscess). I was given the antibotic (antibiotic) cephalexin and it does not seem to be working. I now have pain in my jaw bone and chin. Is it possible that this antibotic (antibiotic) is just not the right one and I may need to change to a different one? I have been taking it for apx. 7 days now.
You should be keeping in touch with the surgeon who did the procedure and they should be monitoring your progress.  If you have no improvement after 4 days on an antibiotic then you should be seeing your doctor.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.