Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Apicoectomy Procedure

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Apicoectomy Procedure

I have to have an an apico done on both front teeth and a root canal done on one of the teeth next to the front ones.  I've been reading about the procedure so I understand the purpose of the procedure.  I just have no idea what to expect afterwards.  Will there be a lot of pain?  I am being put to sleep for this, is that normal?

Anesthesia during this procedure is routine.  Each patient and each procedure is very different and it is difficult to generalize.

Most patients experience mild to moderate discomfort which is easily tolerated with prescription pain medication.  Swelling for three days is after the surgery is also expected.

Your surgeon should be able to give you a better idea once they have completed the surgery.

Good luck!

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.