Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Bit my tongue, is it infected?

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Bit my tongue, is it infected?

I bit my tongue two days ago...now it is hurting in the place of the bite as there is a huge white canker sore at the same place I bit it...also on the same side, there seems to be 3 or 4 bumps on my tongue about 1 cm away fromthe bite. There is no puss coming out though. Is my tongue infected?

Also, I bit my tongue while having lunch, then at night after about 10 hours I felt a pain in my neck under the jaw on the same side of the bite...The next day I woke up and the pain in my neck/throat was worse and I couldnt swallow easily. Now it is easing a bit. Is this related to the biting incident?
The pain may be related to the injury or possibly an infection which has traveled to a lymph node.  In either case, I suggest you see your dentist or oral surgeon as soon as possible to make sure the wound is not infected.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies