Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Bone chips coming out of gum

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Bone chips coming out of gum
I have had a couple of bone chips come out of my gum.  My dentist is sending me to a oral surgeon to look at this.  What are possible causes?
Bone remodeling after tooth extraction is the most common.  There are other causes which the oral surgeon should help determine.  Expect a clinical and radiographic examination.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.
Thank you for your response.  Turned out I have "tores".  Not sure if I spelled this right.

My oral surgeon filed my jawbone.  Now my left jaw bone is smooth, right one you can feel "bumps'.  From what I've gathered in doing some research, this condition may be genetic.  Is that true?
If what you are referring to are "tori" then yes, i have them too!

A related discussion, breaking of teeth was started.
A related discussion, bone in lower jaw was started.