Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Bone extruding from gum after wisom removal

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

nearly six weeks ago i had all four wisdom teeth removed, i was in low pain for the first week then serious chronic pain for the next three weeks.  On about week 4 i noticed rough bits on my lower gums on the inside at the back, thought nothing of them.  However they are getting quite sore, it feels like my impacted wisdoms did on a smaller scale, they appear to be boney growths coming out of my gums, one on each side.  I have found bony gum growths on internet, but mine are sharp and sore, from what i read mostly they are rounded and not sore at all.  Any advice welcome!!
Your condition is not uncommon following jaw surgery.  You should have returned to Oral Surgeon who performed the first surgery.  Treatment is generally simple and involves smoothing the sharp edges under local anesthesia.

It is also possible that your symptoms are signs of a more serious condition such as late post-operative infection or osteomyelitis.  In any case, you should return to the surgeon as soon as possible.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.
Further to your reply i got an emergency dental appointment as the hospital where i had the teeth removed won't see me (good old nhs funding!) I was advised it was small shards of bone migrating out of my gum which had been shed due to the bone changing in reaction to the trauma.  I am really glad for your reply, i was relieved to hear from the dentist it was not the infection problems you suggested, but glad i got it checked out as i have been run down since the procedure and could easily have been in more trouble than it seemed - thanks, this is a great service!
A related discussion, bone chips was started.