Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Bone in top of mouth

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Bone in top of mouth

I have had a bone in the top of my upper palate for as long as I can remember.  Just recently it started to hurt.   I do not remember burning it.   It looks red .  I have been putting anesthetic ointment on it to kill tghe pain.  Will this heal on its own or do I need to see a dentist or a medical doctor?  Is there anything else I can do?
The bone you are referring to may be a palatine tori.  This is an overgrowth of normal appearing bone.

However, it is possible the tissue covering the bone has been traumatized or there may be an underlying abnormality within the tissue or bone itself.

You most definitely want to see a Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial as soon as possible.  Generally speaking, the sooner you are treated the easier the recovery and better the outcome.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.