Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Burning Tongue

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Burning Tongue
Hello, I have had a mild burning sensation on my tongue now for approx 2 months.  It doesn't affect my normal routine or affect my taste when I eat.  It comes and goes and is starting to get annoying. I was at the doctors a week and a half ago for my yearly physical and she didn't seem real concerned.  I am a 55 year old male.  I have been stressed for the last few months and do have some allergies, could it be from all of this?  Or, could it be oral cancer or Lyme disease or anything else for that matter.  I am not a smoker and have clean dental hygiene.  I was just at the dentist for a yearly visit but forgot to mention anything to him.  Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Yobuck
a burning sensation in the mouth and tongue can be caused by many different things.  Commonly, it is a reaction to contact with a particular substance such as a toothpaste or mouthwash.  It can also be caused by a reaction to certain chewing gum, foods or additives.

Less commonly it can be caused by systemic or metabolic problems such as vitamin deficiency.

The first thing I would do is seek an evaluation and exam by an oral and maxillofacial surgeon or dentist that specializes in oral medicine.  You may also consider changing your toothpaste and mouthwash as well as keeping a diary of all the food and other products you put in your mouth.  You may be able to identify to source this way.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.
Hi Doctor thanks for your prompt response.  A couple of things...I have been using the same toothpaste for a couple of years and use no month wash.  Also have been chewing the same gum for quite a long time and my eating habits haven't really changed.

Could this burning tongue by any chance be from anxiety or stress which I have been under for a few months?  Or what are your thoughts on it may be some kind of oral cancer or another oral disease?