Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Dull pain in center of left inner cheek

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Dull pain in center of left inner cheek

It started about 8 months ago. For three or four days I couldn't sleep with the pain (which at that time seemed to be coming from my teeth). I had my teeth x-rayed and everything looked ok. I also had very increased saliva flow. I still think my saliva flow is a little bit above my normal rate (its only from the left side)---it has calmed down alot over the months. Also my saliva kinda tastes different and seems a little thicker. It feels as if a tooth is pushing on my inner cheek all the time and that my inner cheek, although not tender seems slightly puffy--- although that's just what it feels like, I don't think my teeth are the problem.  My own idea is that the salivary gland is somehow irritated by the increased saliva flow, however there is no mention on any web-site I can find of sialorrhea causing any pain.  
Two things that may be relevant: I suffer from Diabetes (not treated by medications stage); I also take Lithium. I have read that some of the side effects of Lithium are increased saliva flow and strange taste in ones mouth. There is no mention, however, of any pain in the mouth associated with Lithium.
Both diabetes and lithium can cause changes in the salivary glands and the saliva itself.  If you are experiencing pain especially when eating, this may be a sign of an obstructed salivary duct or inflammation of the gland.

I would request a consultation with a Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon who has the proper training to diagnosis your condition.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.