Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
EXTREME Sensitivity 5 weeks after all wisdom teeth removed

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

I had all four wisdom teeth removed about 5 weeks ago. A few days after the surgery to a week and a half afterwards, the teeth immediately next to the teeth removed were extremely senstive to cold or heat, and experienced some pain while chewing. Now, it is only my rear left bottom back tooth that experiences this, but it is extremely sensitive now to hot and cold and its a while after the surgery. Is there cause for concern? Or is this STILL part of the healing process?  I don't know what to do but eating and drinking cold water/warm tea for example have become quite uncomfortable because of that tooth....
It sounds like the roots on the adjacent teeth are exposed.  This can occur following the removal of the wisdom teeth.  

I have found that bone grafting the exposed roots greatly reduce the sensitivity while your body is healing from the surgery.  In rare cases, root canal therapy my be indicated.

I recommend you see the surgeon who performed the procedure and let them know what is going on and to give them the opportunity to provide you with some treatment alternatives.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies
1 Comment