Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Fosamax reaction

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Fosamax reaction

My wife was on fosamax for ten years.She developed a squamous cell  carcenoma of the mucosa of the left  mandible. There was extensive osteonecrosis of the mandible.After excellent treatment and much pain and.suffering

she seems to be cancer free.She suffers from paresihrsia of the left jaw and loss of five teeth which cannot be repjaced with implants.  

My question ;did  the prolonged use of fosamax cause and  exacerbate the osteonecrosis ?

Retired DDS

To the best of my knowledge, Fosamax has not been linked in the development of oral cancers.  Without knowing what came first, the oral cancer or the osteonecrosis it is impossible to answer your question.  Frequently, following the surgical removal of squamous cell carcinoma post-op radiation therapy is performed.

A serious side effect of the radiation treatment is osteoradionecrosis which appears very similar to the osteonecrosis caused by Fosomax type medications.

A microvascular free bone graft may be able to reconstruct the lost bone and aid in the replacement of the teeth with dental implants.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.