Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Heart/Diabetic needing teeth pulled

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Heart/Diabetic needing teeth pulled

Good evening. . .I am in desperate need of having 2 teeth pulled. . .one a wisdom tooth that is  growing in crooked.  I am diabetic (in control) and have had a heart attack caused by a spasm.  I am on Norvasc and Zebeta (and baby aspirin of course) for the spasm "just in case". . .I am scared silly to get the work done but am in alot of pain.  My questions. . .

1.  Is it alright to take Motrin after having a heart attack ?

2.  Do the medications I am on mix with anesthesia ?  Last time I had a filling. . .my heart rate dropped to around 30 and it was hard to keep awake. . .it was scarey !!

3.  The other tooth is broke off at the gum line and I've seen on an xray where the root is up in my sinus. . .is this going to be hard (and painful) to get out and will I have sinus problems after ??

4.  Do you think a general dentist can do this work ??

My main concern is the medications mixing with the anesthesia. . .I won't take the gas stuff because I want to be able to tell the dentist if I am having chest pain. . .

Thanks for your help. . .

Just sign me,
desperate and in pain
I truly think you would be more comfortable being treated by an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon who routinely performs these and many other procedures on patient who have significantly more medical problems than you are describing.  

Dental extractions are the most common and most routine procedures for oral surgeons.  You need to speak directly to the treating doctor who will obtain a comprehensive history and physical examination.  An oral surgeon also has the ability to monitor your vital signs including EKG during the entire procedure

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.