Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Jaw Surgery for Overbite
About This Forum:

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Jaw Surgery for Overbite

I have been told by my dentist that the only way to stop using a night bite guard for grinding teeth is to have jaw sugery to realign the bones.  The problem is through my insurance (still on my mother's due to still being in school) I have maxed out my lifetime orthodotic money and the surgery would be expensive.  

I have an overbite that reappeared after the second set of braces came off in grade 8 (had work done since I was 6 years and now 20).  My teeth don't align together properly because of two molars (the 12 year ones) that sit together on a point and does cause clenching and very tight jaw muscles.  I don't have any popping or crackling so I believe I don't have any TMJ problems and all of it is coming from the misaligned teeth.  

My orthotodist wanted to put a third set of braces on in grade 10 when the overbite came back but I declined.  When I had to have my wisdom teeth removed (all 4 decided to try and come out above my gum line on the side of head) the oral/maximallary dentist/surgery person told me that braces would have no affect and that the only way to fix it would be through surgery.

My question is, will I harm my jaw muscles if I wait 5-10 years until I'm done school to have the surgery or should it be something I should be looking into sooner than that?