Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Jaw Surgery

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Jaw Surgery

I have just been visiting a Maxillofacial doctor to find out why my jaw is out of alignment.   After several visits an xray, CT Scan and an MRI it has been determined that I have a tumor growing on my jaw.  The growth is located on my right side right where the ball-joint is located.  The tumor is a little bigger than ball portion of the joint.    
Today my Dr. informed me that surgery was the only option.    They want to remove the joint portion of my jaw bone and replace it with a prosthetic.  
I can see the growth on the xray.    
Does this sound like a good opinion  and /or should I get a second opinion?      
Second opinion consultations are good option for any patient requiring reconstructive surgery and I recommend this to my patients as well.  I suggest you bring good copies of all your CT scans, MRI's, xray and pathology report (if available) to the consultation appointment.

Surgery is an appropriate course of action for what you are describing.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.
Hi :
I saw your question and wanted to repond to it.15 years ago i had a tumor,but in my left jaw ball joint.It was twice the size of my right one and still had bone activity.They removed it and thank god it was benign.I didn't have a prosthetic. I formed my own socket with use of it.When they leveled out my upper jaw, they used screws and plates while everything was healing.Now 15 years later, i find my self going in for surgery to have all the screws and plates removed because they shifted and are causing me great pain and headaches.I even had one work it's way down through my gum! My new surgeon told me that screws and plates made now are less bulky.They don't need to replace them,since the jaw healed many years ago.