Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Jaw dislocation and back pain after wisdom teeth removal

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

I've had 3 of my wisdom teeth removed about 9 weeks ago. The two left teeth where still covered in bone and it was a very painful recovery. Half the root of my lower left wisdom tooth is still in the bone and the left side of my lower lip and chin still haven't regained all sensation (not very nice feeling although you get used to it).

Ever since the pain started to wear off (about 6 weeks ago) I've frequently woken up with a dislocated jaw. I clench my teeth at night so I'm wearing a mouthguard for sleep but I have no memory of ever waking up with a dislocated jaw before the surgery.

Around the same time my jaw started dislocating I started having a stiff neck and lower back pain, which now turned out to be a herniated disk in my lower back. Cursing how all these inconveniences come at the same time I am now wondering if there could be a connection between all this. If maybe some change in the position of my jaw led to all these problems as they actually are all predominantly on the left side of my body (jaw problem, neck, and back pain).

Who would you recommend for me to see? An osteopath, chiropractor?

Thanks!
First, the herniated disk is definitely not related to the wisdom tooth surgery.

I suggest you see a Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon who treats TMJ disorders and Facial Pain.  They usually work with physicial therapist, chiropractors and other healthcare providers, and as a team can work together in helping you.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.

Thanks for the advice. I'll get a team of different healthcare providers together.