Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Jaw pain after a large pop/crunching sound last week

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

About a week ago I yawned and heard and felt a loud pop and then crunching feeling on the left side of my jaw.  It doesn't hurt at all times, but I often wake up in pain or feel a stabbing pain when I move it the wrong way.  I am also having a hard time aligning my teeth or bitting down too hard.  What does this sound like (fracture, dislocation)?  
I have been doing cold compresses, but they don't seem to be helping.  Suggestions?  How long should I wait before I go to the doctor?

Thanks a ton!!
Based upon your description I believe you may have dislocated the TMJ disc.  The earlier   the condition is treated the better the prognosis.  The longer you wait, the more difficult and protracted your pain may be.

You should seek out a Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon.  In addition to the clinical examine and interview, they will most likely obtain radiographs in order to make a diagnosis.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.