Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Lesion found in Lower Jaw

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Lesion found in Lower Jaw

I switched dentists at this time she did a full mouth x-ray which should a lesion in my lower jaw area.  
Where the lesion is located a tooth was extracted. The dentist explained the lesion that shows up could be a piece of the tooths root left behind, howeve, she is sending me to a maxifacial surgeon for an opinion.

Would the dentist be able to tell from xray if the lesion was a tooth root.  The lesion was 6mm x 6mm.

I am very worried.  Is this common or should I be worried.  

Please advise

The surgeon should be able to determine if the "lesion" is a residual root.  Based upon the examination and radiographs, they will recommend either removal or observation.

Let the surgeon know that you are concerned about the area.  Sometimes dentists leave pieces of roots in the jaws if their removal would cause damage to adjacent teeth and structures.  

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.