Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Lump on Gum....

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Lump on Gum....

Hoping you can help me with something......I've been having some trouble with a tooth for the past couple of months, thinking it is probably just a cavity, and I know I need to go get it looked at.  The other day, I noticed some tenderness under my cheek and I put my finger up there, and there is a hard lump, about the size of a pea.  When I press on it, is is tender to touch, and I notice it gives me a slight twinge in that tooth.  The lump is high up on my gum,almost like it is just under my cheekbone.  Does this sound like an infection?  I'm so frightened it may be a tumor.....
If it's an infection, how would they treat it, just fix the tooth, and then would it go away?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Mary
What you have described in an infection in your jaw most likely caused by the nerve in the tooth dying.  This should be promptly treated by to prevent further destruction of your jaw bone, adjacent teeth and possibly maxillary sinus.  

A cyst or tumor is less likely but certainly possible.  In any case you should see your dentist or an oral surgeon as soon as possible.  Antibiotics will not cure this infection!

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.
Thank you Dr Kirsch for responding so quickly.  You've given me some reassurance to get through the next few days until I can see my dentist.  I will make an appointment next week...and pray that this is indeed an infection that he can treat for me.

Thanks again,
Mary
Why will antibiotics not cure this infection if it's bacterial?  I have the same problem, although I only noticed the lump on my gum after having a root canal on tooth #14.  The nerves had died though prior to the root canal.  It's been two weeks since the root canal and I still have the lump and lingering numbness on the left side of my cheek and lips.  After the first root canal procedure I took Cleocin for 5 days.  The endodontist has said that the lump is swelling from the root canal and did not mention anything about a possible jaw infection.  I'm not scheduled to go to my dentist for the crown for another 2 weeks.  What should I do?
follow-up responses are not permitted feel free to post a new forum question
A related discussion, lumps and numbness in my lip after root canal was started.