Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Lump on Roof of mouth

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Lump on Roof of mouth

Hi Doctor,

I have had a rather large lump on the right side of my hard palate for as long as I can remember.  It's relatively soft, but not movable. I don't notice it's there unless I'm actually looking at it.  It doesn't interrupt my speech or not allow me to swallow.  I went to the dentist last week and she didn't say anything about it.  I've always thought it was just an abnormality in my hard palate, but recently I've started to worry and of course when searching the internet all one sees is how tumors of the hard palate are usually malignant and it could be salivary gland/mouth cancer so naturally I'm worrying.  I've looked at torus, but it's toward the right side and not hard..pleomorphic adenoma/granuloma....

I don't have any other worrying symptoms. I've checked all my lymph nodes around my head.  So my question is...what could this be?
Unfortunately, without a clinical exam it is impossible to diagnosis or even suggest what you might have.  There are literally hundreds of text books devoted to "things" that may grow inside the mouth.

Obviously a tumor or cyst is high on the list.  Given the longevity of the lesion it is most likely benign.  However, even benign entities can become malignant.

The most appropriate step is to see a Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon for a consultation.  They will most likely take or order radiographs and recommend a biopsy.  If you cannot obtain consult with an Oral Surgeon then you make elect to see an Ears Nose and Throat (ENT Surgeon).

You are correct to be concerned and should not ignore it - even if it's been there for a long time.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.
Also, I still have not had my wisdom teeth removed...the last visit to the dentist, my doctor suggested it be done.  
I'm 25, never smoked and I don't drink alcohol
Hi again Doctor,

I h ad my dentist look at it and he said that it was an infection and needed to b e removed immediately.  He cut into it and drained it.  He sent a portion of it off to be biopsied and said that while he's 99% sure it's a periapical cyst, he wanted to be sure.  He wouldn't answer any of my questions as to what else it could be however. He said he had removed 98-99% of it.   It has gone down in size, but there is still a lump.  Is this because it is now filled with blood? Will it go down?