Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Mouth

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Mouth

Last October I had a cyst removed that was right behind my 2 front teeth. It was removed from the upper roof of my mouth. There has been some numbness that has persisted since then, but nothing serious. I went to the dentist for my annual checkup and June and everything was normal. Last week, I ate a pizza and seemed to have burned the roof of my mouth. Right behind the front teeth on the upper roof (where the cyst was removed)there was a white circle. I thought it was a burn and it went away a couple of days later. Now I notice that the area is rather sensitive. There is not a red patch, but the area where the cyst was removed--right behind the front teeth--when I look in mirror and shine a flashlight on it that spot is pink but there is sometimes a red horshoe around it. Is this irritation? Sometimes it goes away. Can you help me? Is this serious? It has been a week, and I was told it could take up to a couple of weeks.
Generally, first degree burns to the tissues lining the roof of your mouth will heal completely within 7-10 days.  If you have any signs or symptoms after that time you should see a Board Certfied Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon for prompt evaluation.

Furthermore, there are several types of benign cysts that have a tendency to recur.  You should check with your surgeon if the cyst you had removed was one of those.  

It is always best to have a competent surgeon evaluate any area of your mouth that does not seem 100% normal to you.  More often than not, patients are usually correct when they believe that "something is not quite right."

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.