Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Non-stop pain

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Non-stop pain

I was diagnosed with TMJ 3 years ago at an emergency room after my jaw locked for the first time. They referred me to both an ENT and a dentist. The ENT told me my jaw is so bad that its just a matter of time before it dislocates. Gave me muscle relaxers and Naproxen. When I told him that they werent working for the pain he told me he was not comfortable treating me if those didnt help. So I turned to my dentist. She sent me to an oral surgeon who pulled my wisdom teeth. The pain was even worse. Went back to the dentist who told me I needed 10 fillings and 2 root canals. I went ahead and got all of those done. Now, not only does my jaw hurt all the time but every tooth that they worked on hurts so much I can hardly chew anything. They put a filling in a back tooth that I had never had any pain in and now any pressure on it makes me cry from the pain. I guess my question is, knowing that TMJ is a chronic pain condition why is it so hard to get anyone to treat not only the pain but the disorder? Did they mess something up at the dentist if my teeth hurt this bad? I'm scared to go back. Not only do they keep recommending more dental treatments cuz "that will stop all my pain" but when I ask for something for the pain they always refuse. Even after the root canals. I'm not a drug addict. I just want something to help with the pain. If they will treat back pain with whatever is necessary why not hold to the same standard when it involves the jaw?
Tags: Pain, chronic, Oral
Given the long term nature of your complaints and your continual pain, I suggest you seek a consultation with a Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon who treats TM Disorders.  It does not sound as if you have had specific therapy directed to the jaw joint and associated structures.

I would also consider going to see a Pain Specialist.  You may be able to obtain some temporary relief by various medications prescribed to people who have sustained a persistent pain state.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.