Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Numb tongue after dental fillings
About This Forum:

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Numb tongue after dental fillings

I went to the dentist to have a filling re-done.  Twice I had to go back to the dentist and have them adjust the filling. It still hurt.  So the 4th time I asked them to just re-do it. When he put the Novocain in it hurt really bad and my arm flew up to stop him from doing the injection and they held me arm down out of the way. I have never had that reaction before when getting numbed.  That was Tuesday. Now it is Sunday and my tongue is still numb.  Everything else he numbed worn off except my tongue.  I think he hit the lingual nerve from what I keep reading. It feels like I burned my tongue on hot tea. Of course I went online and started reading threads and found that this can take days, weeks, or even months to go away and can actually be permanent?  Now of course I am scared my mouth is numb for life!  I'm so scared. I have been crying since Thursday when I realized this wasn't normal. I have an appt with my dentist tomorrow to have him take a look although I can't imagine he is going to be able to do anything.  

What can I do?  I heard that this happening is like winning the lottery.  How could I be so unlucky?  I can't imagine going through this for months and possibly forever.  Do I see an oral surgeon? Do I see a neurologist?