Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Numbness and Pain after Apical Surgery
About This Forum:

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Numbness and Pain after Apical Surgery

I had apical surgery on my lower right molar one tooth in from the back about 10 days ago. This was to correct what was apparently a failed root canal a year earlier. The procedure was performed by an endodontist that specializes in this work. I know there were issues with getting the bleeding to stop during the procedure but they finally did and proceeded with the work. There was not a lot of pain or swelling after the surgery however several days later the eye tooth and the incisor next to it 4 teeth away from the molar that was worked on started hurting. The pain feels as if I forced a credit card between the two teeth. The stitches for the apical work were on the other side of the eye tooth and ran toward the back where he did drilled through the bone. The pain has now been going on for almost a week even though the rest of the area seems to be healing. There is a sensation of slight to moderate numbness in the teeth immediately surrounding the eye tooth along with the above described pain. I was surprised when I saw that the stitching was so far away from the area of work and that so much of the gum was moved out of the way for the surgery. I'm concerned that nerves were damaged during the procedure. I've heard of people who have had permanent nerve damage and am concerned that this may not go away. 600mg of Ibuprophen doesn't have much effect on the pain. I do take one vicaden at night which does seem to work well but how long can keep taking this.
Tags: apical, Pain