Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Open Bite

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Open Bite
Hi, I'm currently in braces waiting for my orthodontis to tell me to get surgury.  I have an open bite and my chin is set farther back than it should be. I've already had a visit with the local oral surgeon, and he told me that I might need to have both my maxilla and mandible worked on. The maxilla to fix the bite, and the mandible to push my chin forward.  My question is this... Could it be possible that my chin is set back due to my open bite?  Could this problem be fixed with just the open bite surgery?  I mean, I will get both jaws broken if necessary, because I'm tired of having a double chin and an ugly profile; but I'd really rather prevent having this done if I don't need it.  Please, I need a second opinion.
As dento-facial discrepancies are highly complex in nature with multiple causes, there may be more than one way to correct it.

Each surgeon has their own preference which is in part due to their training and experience.

With this type of treatment you should find a surgeon and orthodontist you are very comfortable with and trust.  Getting a second opinion consultation by a Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon is certainly a good idea.   I even suggest the second opinions to my patient.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.
I am an ortho asst of 8yrs so I hope I can help.  Your case sounds like you have 2 seperate bite problems.  An openbite causes the front teeth not to bite together, a Class II bite is where the lower jaw is too small to fit with the upper jaw, that causes the appearance of a "double chin" or a retracted chin.  

The two jaw surgery is needed so they can cut the upper jaw and move it down in the front so the front teeth will touch and they will cut the lower jaw and move it forward reducing the overbite which will bring the chin forward.

Orthognathic surgery is major surgery and you are right to be concerned but from years of experience I think you will be unsatisfied if you only do one jaw.  It won't address all of your bite problems.  

If you want a second opinion.seek out another oral surgeon for advice.  Hope this helps!
I was also an orthodontic asst. for 10 years and saw many many cases come through the door like this.  Unfortunately, you are going to need to have the surgery to get the results you want/need.  It is unbelievable how great patients look when it is all over with.  Depending on your age, the surgery can be pretty evasive.  I mean, if you are young....you will recover fairly easily....Like she said above, get a second opinion.  Make sure you go to a really GOOD oral surgeon...make sure he/she is a maxilofacial surgeon as well.  Good Luck!
Thankyou, that was helpfull, but I have another issue that just came up.  I have several of my teeth impacted in my maxillary sinuses.  Will this affect the surgury for the open bite?