Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Oral Surgery for cyst in upper gum, had problems since the surgery now ...

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Oral Surgery for cyst in upper gum, had problems since the surgery now cyst has come back

Hi i had a cyst removed in my upper gums last October 2007. Following surgery i had problems with pain and infection a few weeks afer surgery. They kept giving my clindomyacin saying maybe food was lodged in my gums
since it was such a big surgery and a lot of stiches. Ive been in pain on and off all this time taking antibiotics a lot
since my surgery. Now the cyst it seems is back or they tell me its back the pain is the same killer pain
i have a bubble under the roof of my mouth filled with infection, im on clindamyacin again.
The surgeon gave me 2 options pull my 2 front teeth as he belives and has been telling me that the root canals i had done years ago are bad and making the cysts form. I went to a Endodontist yesterday and he said my roots are good that is not the cause of this problem. He also said i should go to another surgeon that his diagnosis is wrong

What do i do? Im going back to the surgeon just to get options from him as he now knows that the roots are not the cause. But im very leary of trusting him to do another surgery any advice really appreciated
Thanks so much
Has anyone had this happen?
Infections occur in approximately 15% of root canal teeth.  If the teeth were traumatized in the past the infection and failure rate is higher.

Antibiotics will not cure this problem.  Some treatment options are re-treatment of the root canal, root surgery or removal of the tooth/teeth.

A CT scan may be helpful in identifying the exact location of the problem.  There is no harm in obtaining a second surgical opinion from a Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.
A related discussion, cyst above my back upper tooth was started.