Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Expert Forum
Pink area on roof of mouth

Questions in the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery forum are answered by Dr. Michael H Kirsch and Dr. Mario Tuchman. Topics covered include teeth extractions, wisdom teeth, dental implants, bone grafting, orthognathic surgery, facial bones realignment, facial trauma repair, jaw alignment, anesthesia , jaw cyst or tumor diagnosis, reconstructive jaw surgery, temporomandibular joint syndrome (TMJ) and TMJ surgery.

Pink area on roof of mouth

Dr. I have a pink area on the left side of the roof of my mouth. Discovered it back in January and saw an oral surgeon and had it biopsied. After the results came in the Dr. said it was an iflammatory process. The results on the report read Scar and reactive epitelial changes and negative for dysplasia and malignancy. It did say in the comments that the tissue was hyperplastic and acanthotic though. He didn't seem concerned and said to get my teeth cleaned and stuff like that. This was all back in January. Well it never went away so I went and saw a Periodontist a couple of weeks ago in April. Showed him the results and he didn't seem concerned either. He called it a hyperplasia and said maybe breathing through my mouth when i sleep could be causing it.  I had him re biopsy it. The biopsy was done by a different lab too and the results came back as Papillary Hyperplasia and no evidence of malignancy. In the comments it said-- The findings reveal hyperplastic findings possibly asscoiated with chronic trauma. Human papillomavirus might also be a factor in the hyperplastic tissue. Clinical correlation and follow up recommended.
The periodontist said if i ever notice any changes in it then that would be a reason to re biopsy again. Im concerned that this something that will be cancerous one day. Im not sure if I should do something about this or not. It healed over with the same darker pink tissue where he took the biopsy. I hear hpv is associated with oral cancer now. Does this sound like something I should be concerned about?
There are minor salivary glands on the roof of your mouth and soft palate.  There are some local factors that can cause the findings seen by the pathologist.  Smoking, foods, and mouthwashes are just several examples.  

Since you are still concerned after two separate biopsies you may consider having the entire lesion excised or ablated with a laser.

HPV is associated with oral cancer but neither of the pathology reports diagnosed you with a papilloma.

Information contained within this reply is intended solely for general educational purposes and is not intended nor implied to be a medical diagnosis or treatment recommendation.  This is not a substitute for professional medical advice relative to your specific medical condition or question. Always seek the advice of your own doctor for medical condition. Only your clinical doctor can provide specific diagnoses and therapies.  
To add to that Im concerned because there is nothing obvious that could be causing trauma to the roof of my mouth. I don't wear dentures or anything. I have wore a night guard for teeth grinding for ten years but it sits on my lower teeth and doesn't touch the roof of my mouth.
Being is why the best thing the doctor could come up with is that maybe i breath through my mouth in my sleep and that is causing it. If this did turn into something cancerous would i notice a change in it? It has been virtually unchanged in the 3 and half months its been there.